Sunday 29 June 2008

Liu Shueh Shuan (09 Apr 2008)



I chose to have an interview with Liu Shueh Shuan because we've got the same idea of combining two stories from the East and from the West. I want to know what difficulties he had when he make the musical and his suggestions to make it better.
---
Interview notes

Liu, Shueh-Shuen

Date: 09 Apr 2008

1.Elisa: Can you tell me why did you write this musical?
Liu: The reason why I wrote this musical is because I want to introduce traditional Chinese instruments to children.

2.Elisa: Why did you choose ‘Auntie Tigress’ to be the eastern story?
Liu: That was because I needed a story that is known by almost every child in Taiwan. Somehow it will be easier for them to get into the story and pay attention to the differences between each instrument.

3.Elisa: Did you focus on Hakka culture?
Liu: No, I did not. I focus on the music part because I am a composer. I’ve got someone else who can manage the costume and the stage design for me.

4.Elisa: Why did you choose ‘Peter and the Wolf’ to be the western story?
Liu: The reason why I chose ‘Peter and the Wolf’ is because it is already a musical and it is also made for children as well. It is created by a Russia composer Prokofiev, Sergey(1891-1953). It is exactly what I need to introduce western instruments to children in Taiwan.

5.Elisa: How did you combine these two stories?
Liu: Basically I didn’t change them a lot. I kept most of the original stories, and I let the tigress and the wolf met and had 3 times boxing game. I picked out several piece of melody from each of them and put them together to create a new musical.

6.Elisa: Did you find it difficult to create a new adaptation without making too many differences from the original story?
Liu: Yes, I did. It’s a difficult job to decide what you are going to keep and what you are going to change. I believe you are facing the same problem now. Try to step back and think about the mail reason why you are doing this might help you to do this easier.

7.Elisa: Can you give me some advises with the project I am going to do?
Liu: If you are going to do the picture book with a music CD, I will suggest you to make it simple. Do not make it too complicated because you want them to read, you do not want them to listen to the music like I do. For you, the music is just something you use to create certain mood.

No comments: